If you have had your BMW for several years now, then it might be time to consider keeping a closer eye on it. It is a simple fact that as cars (or anything for that matter) age they start to require more maintenance and quality care to function properly. To help you make sure that your high mileage BMW continues to perform to its highest ability for years to come, here are some maintenance tips to consider:
• Spark Plugs: these are good indicators of engine condition. The removal and inspection of spark plugs can tell you a lot about engine performance and where any problems may be sourcing from. Spark plugs should be removed, checked, (and if necessary) replaced every 30,000 miles. This is especially important if you vehicle has over 100,000 miles on it.
• Distributor Cap & Rotator: both of these parts are typically plastic and and therefore they tend to wear down with age and use. This makes the regular maintenance of these parts important for a BMW with increased mileage.
• Spark Plug Wire Sets: these should be tested before being replaced. Resistance is key when testing.
• Oil Filter: these are easy to replace and keeping them fresh and in good working order will help to prevent unnecessary engine wear. As could be expected, this part filters out contaminants such as dirt and soot from the oil in your car.
• Air Filter: this part protects your fuel injectors and should be serviced frequently to ensure that your BMW operates properly.
• Fuel Filter: This protects the you fuel and keeps it clean, and thus preventing clogs and damage to the engine. This part should be replaced every 30,000 miles.
Those are just a few of the parts that should be checked frequently. Here is a complete list of all the important high milage BMW parts that should be checked: spark plugs, ignition wire sets, distributor cap, distributor rotor, oxygen sensor, oil filter, air filter, PCV breather filter, fuel filter, transmission filter, vacuum hoses, temperature sensors, lubricants, coolant hoses, and belts.
Besides part specific tips, there are some other things to consider when you own a high mileage vehicle. First you want to make sure that you maintain the overall cleanliness of your engine; this perhaps the best preventative measure that you can take for the overall health of your BMW. A clean engine is cooler and is much less likely to cause or aid to the failure of other parts or systems. Routine and regular replacement of all the parts, filters, and fluids mentioned here is also critical. And lastly, know your cars individual systems and requirements and make sure that you are letting professionals who are trained to work with BMWs work on your vehicle. The key to an extended life for your high mileage BMW is a good maintenance routine that is carried out by a professional service; so, find a high quality shop and keep these tips in mind.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/6914521
Star Tech European in Vacaville specializes in BMW service and repairs. The auto repair business doesn't have the best reputation, so we go the extra mile to build trust. That includes taking extra time to really explain what your car needs and why. Our goal is to give professional, friendly, honest service without the stress and hassle of going to the dealer. We will never sell you something you don't need.